Thursday, June 18, 2009

Historical Fiction #3

Chapter 3


What's that noise? Julie thought to herself. She was lying in bed, waiting for sleep to come when she heard a noise from the living room. Oh, it must be Dad. She checked the clock, 12:06 am! Oh yeah, a "little" later than usual. He is unbelievable, I bet he'll be gone before any of us are awake tomorrow too. Probably won't even see him. Julie tossed and turned for another 20 minutes before sleep finally came.

**********

Lena woke up to her Dad listening to the radio, the newest update on the war. She strained to hear, "Newest update: found 3 bodies, trying to identify. One has a note in his pocket from New York saying, 'We love you, and wish you didn't have to leave us! We wish you the best, please come home safe.' If you have any information on the body of this man, please call..." Lena quickly turned over and blocked her ears with her hands. I can't take it, all these men dying and I don't see the necessity! Why is this happening? she thought.

**********

Julie, Lena and Mom had breakfast at about nine o'clock. Dad had left before anyone was awake of course, about 5:30 am. The phone rang as Julie was washing the dishes. Mom quickly answered it,
"Hello?"
"Hello, is this Jane?" asked a voice,
"Yes it is." Mom replied,
"Hi Jane, this is Marianne Gilford. I was wondering if you could stop by maybe with a snack and we could talk. I'm lonely here and need someone to talk to. Are you too busy?" asked Mrs. Gilford,
"No, not at all. I'd be glad to come down. Let me just finish the dishes and I'll be right over. How does chicken soup sound? Let me just whip some up and I'll be right there." replied Mom,
"That would be great. Thank you so much, I really appreciate, it's very kind of you to drop everything to come down. But please take your time. Are you sure it's not too much trouble?" queried Mrs. Gilford,
"Not at all, I'll be right there
. Goodbye, Marianne."
"Goodbye."
"Julie, I need you to get out the ingredients for Chicken and Rice soup. Also, could you run to store and grab a few things? The list is on the counter. Lena, I need you to clean the house for me. I won't have much time to do anything today." said Mom.
"Sure, Mom" replied both the girls.

**********

Let's see, where is the bread section. Hmmm...here it is, I need white bread and nutty oat bread. Julie said to herself. Check, I got it all. Good! And it's only quarter past twelve. She quickly paid for her things and hopped into the car, shoving the groceries in with her. She sped off, checking the gas as she went. Better stop to get some gas, less than a quarter of a tank. She pulled over at the nearest station. Sh filled up her tank and ran inside to pay. Oh, that is just too tempting she thought as she spied the candy, maybe just one...no, I can't waste money like that. I already spent a lot at the supermarket. She whipped her head around and paid for just her gas and walked out of the station not even glancing back at the candy. She hopped into the car and sped off.

**********

I think I'll start with a mop. Lena thought as she surveyed the dirtiness of the house. She ran off to the closet and pulled out a rather beat-up old mop. I guess this will have to do, as old as it is. I'll soak it in extra soap. The mop worked just as well as it did when she had bought it months ago. Then she dusted the house carefully, making sure to move everything. Mom always notices if I forget to move anything. Got to be extra careful. Suddenly someone knocked at the door. I wonder who that could be? Julie has a key but maybe she forgot it...hmmm. I guess I should just check. She opened the door to find a police-man. "Is this the Hillgards place?" he asked, "Yes it is." Lena replied, "I'm afraid I have some bad news for you, young lady." he said. And the world began to spin around Lena, and then all went black.

1 comment: