Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Historical Fiction #2

Chapter 2

That night, as Lena, Julie, and Mom were finishing up dinner, the phone rang. They always let the answering machine pick up during dinner. "Hi, you've reached the Hillgards, no one is available right now. Please leave a message." *Beep* "Hi, it's me," Dad's voice said, "I just wanted to let you know that I'll be late getting home. I have to catch up on my work. See you all later. Bye." "Typical." Mom said, "Always busy." "Yeah, never having time even for his own family." remarked Lena.
Suddenly the radio started beeping in emergency. "Newest update on the War," announced the broadcaster, "Twelve soldiers injured, some fatal wounds, within the last hour. Names of these soldiers:..." he went on to list the names of those injured, or dying. The family listened closely and suddenly they heard a name they recognized, "Brian Gilford". "Oh my," gasped Mom, "poor Mrs. Gilford, her only son, wounded in action, possibly fatally. I'm sending her a card and a phone call this minute. I can't even imagine the suffering the poor woman is going through. Oh my. The poor thing." "I don't know what we would do without Jake. I'm always so scared his name will be listed in the injured troops section." said Julie. Lena and Julie's brother, Jake, was also fighting in the war in the United States Military.

**********

"This still hasn't sunk in for me yet. I can't believe my own son is dying. The war hasn't seemed real to me until now." remarked Marianne Gilford, tears streaming down her cheeks. "I know, Marianne, I really have no idea how it feels. I just called to see how you were doing and give you my sympathy. I really am truly sorry. I'm afraid I don't know what to say. Do you need anything? Food? Anything?" asked Mom. "No, but thank you very much for calling, I really appreciate it. I'll call you if I find anything I need. Thank you again." and Mrs. Marianne Gilford hung up the phone in tears.

Stay tuned for chapter 3!

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm....Uncannily and extraordinarily like MARY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really cool Mary! Depressing story, but REALLY interesting!!!

    ReplyDelete